Sunday, March 7, 2010

LiviN' and LoviN the vocAtIoN of TeacHiNG

Contrary to most of my colleagues, I don't get to have "ME" time after five. My job at the School of Law has tied my sked even way up to the wee hours of the night. While the rest of my friends are either at home, shopping at the mall, working it out at the gym, dating or simply doing whatever with their free time, i on the other hand have to face my student's and their concerns with school.

Admittedly, it is taking up soooooo much of my time even when im supposed to work and attend to my cases or spend it with family.

Since the year began, i have been in school every day of the week and it has to some point exhausted me. It has taken so much of my time that by the end of February, i was so drained that i really did not want to go to school anymore. During those times i started to ask my self whether it is still worth it?

Forcing myself to class last Sunday, i found the answer to my question.. As i was calling a student to do the Lawyer's oath in my Ethics class, he seem nervous and mentioned a case. Confused, i asked what was wrong with him.. and he answered, "Sorry mam, i cant concentrate becoz you are exceptionally pretty today" (LOLz) I almost fell off my seat while being tongue tied.. Either i emphasized too much on the "honesty of a lawyer" or my constant recitation has taught them to be witty :)

Same night, i opened an email from the lex prexy for a bunch of requests that the incoming 4th year class is proposing to the office. As i was reading it, i was slowly bidding farewell to my summer break. But as I reached the end of the proposal a line has somehow put me back to my senses, "Atty. Bathan, thank you so much for giving us time, our batch appreciates you so much xxx"

Teaching and the academe will never be a walk in the park.. it will not even be financially compensating either. But it is because of simple moments like this that tells me, I am doing the right thing and this is where i should be.. So now i'm off to school.. L)

No comments:

Post a Comment